Steps for securing a Zoom Meeting before starting
NOTE: Effective 7/19/2020, you will be required to select either Password or Waiting Room (you may select both). For meetings scheduled after this time that do not have either turned on, Zoom will default to the waiting room option where you will need to selectively approve each participant to enter.
- Use scheduled meetings. This allows you to set the secure options. In the Zoom app....
2. Instruct your attendees not to share meeting info, ID’s, links, or passwords.
3. Require a password to join and send it to your designated attendees. This password will be embedded into the join links, so it is imperative to keep these confidential.
An additional precaution: enable waiting room. This puts people in a place where they can't join in until you see them and tap the admit button next to their name. This allows you some degree of control insofar as you recognize the person and they are who they say they are. This is a little more difficult to manage with large meetings if you are the only host.
Security tools during meeting
Zoom has enhanced their security tools to make it easier for a meeting host to manage security during a meeting. In an updated version of Zoom, you will notice a tab at the bottom of the window for security.
Available security settings are:
- Lock Meeting: Locks the meeting, keeping new participants from joining the meeting.
- Enable Waiting Room: Enables Waiting Room for incoming new participants or to move current participants into the Waiting Room.
- Allow participants to:
- Share Screen: Allows participants to start Screen Shares
- Chat: Allows participants to use the chat function.
- Rename Themselves: Allows participants to rename themselves from the Participants panel.
- Annotate on Shared Content: Allows participants to annotate over content shared during the meeting. The host can enable or disable annotation when the host is sharing.
- Remove Participant: Allows the removal of a participant from a meeting. The participant can not re-join unless Allow removed participants to rejoin is enabled in Meeting settings.
See this article for details. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360041848151?flash_digest=68add99547ac802ff28e042681e4150f2633b8d3